At Ravenscroft, Upper School students can opt for an International Diploma, which was designed to support the Ravenscroft Mission in specific ways. Students will develop the knowledge, skills, and disposition required to understand multiple perspectives and thrive and lead in a complex and interdependent world through both curricular and extracurricular requirements.
The International Diploma also helps to perpetuate our valuable and numerous international/global programs here at Ravenscroft. It is an opportunity for students who are interested in global issues, world languages, travel and more to pursue their international dreams, passions and curiosity.
- Academic and Curricular Requirements
- Extracurricular Requirements
- Global Experiences: Hosting and Travel Abroad Requirements
- Senior Project and Final Assessment Requirements
Upper School Students seeking the International Diploma must take the following courses:
- World History or AP World History
- Language other than English through level III
- Global Issues I & II
In addition, students must complete a minimum of 2.5 credits of electives from the following list of courses. A year long course earns 1 credit and a semester course earns 0.5 credit:
- AP English Literature (1); Post-Colonial Literature (0.5); Postmodern Literature (0.5); Shakespeare (0.5); Film Adaptation (0.5); Philosophy of Literature (0.5); AP European History (1); AP World History (1, if taken in addition to World History); AP Human Geography (0.5); Honors Seminar in Religion and Ethics (0.5); Latin American History (0.5); Honors Seminar in Critical Philosophy (0.5); AP Environmental Science (1); Levels IV and Higher of French, Spanish, Mandarin, or Latin (1 for each year); Honors Greek I & II (1 year each); Introduction to Linguistics (0.5)
- Amani Children’s Club
- Children of Africa Club
- Chinese Club
- Classics Club
- Eco Club
- French Club
- Global Change makers
- Global Debate Club
- Global Ravens
- International Discussion Club
- Key Club
- Military History Club
- Model U.N.
- Spanish Club
- Other International Clubs (by approval)
Global Events: Attend a globally-themed event/presentation on or off-campus:
- Ravenscroft Chinese New Year Display
- Ravenscroft Cultural Festival
- Ravenscroft Diwali Display
- Cary Lantern Festival
- Cary Diwali
- NC Latin American Film Festival
- The Light Up Festival in Chapel Hill
- Raleigh International Festival
- World Refugee Day in Raleigh
- Triangle Dragon Boat Festival
Graduating seniors will participate in a final assessment comprising of both written and verbal presentations during their spring semester. Students must pass this assessment successfully and also maintain a 3.0 GPA on the International Diploma courses to be awarded the Ravenscroft International Diploma.
- What is required of the student seeking the Ravenscroft International Diploma?
- Who is eligible to join the program?
- When should I decide to pursue the International Diploma?
- Will this help me get into college?
- Other questions?
Contact the International Diploma Committee:
~ Ms. Jessica Yonzon, International Diploma Coordinator, email@example.com
~ Mr. David Kates, Director of Global Education and Initiatives, firstname.lastname@example.org
~ Mrs. Mary Beth Immediata, Upper School History Faculty, email@example.com
~ Dr. Heather Mallory, Upper School Science Faculty, firstname.lastname@example.org
~ Mr. Joel Karpowitz, Upper School English Chair, email@example.com
“The International Diploma Program helped me better understand myself and my own interests, while simultaneously broadening these interests and making me more curious and attentive to the world around me."
- Ravenscroft Senior
“The International Diploma program is excellent at helping students broaden their horizons and finding out if a career in the international realm is something they wish to pursue.”
- Ravenscroft Senior