These nine seniors headed to play collegiate sports were recognized during the Upper School's morning meeting on Thursday, May 2:
- Preston Bishop '19 is a three-time letter winner in football under Coach Ned Gonet and a two-time letter winner in track and field. Preston will play football at Campbell University in Buies Creek, North Carolina.
- Val Edwards '19 is a six-time letter winner. In football, he was a two-position All-Big East Conference performer and All-State honorable mention. Val also played lacrosse under Coach Sandy Kapatos. Val will continue his football career at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Derek Hughes '19 is a four-time letter winner in baseball. He will be pitching next spring for Washington & Lee University in Lexington, Virginia.
- Hannah Pangborn '19 is a four-time letter winner in lacrosse for Coach Kerry Norman and one-time letter winner in swimming. Hannah will continue playing lacrosse at Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts.
- Kenan Poole '19 is a two-time team captain and six-time letter winner in golf. A TISAC All-Conference performer and two-time News & Observer All-Metro selection, Kenan was an NCISAA All-State honoree when the Ravens won the 2017 3A State Championship. He won two Junior Golf championships last summer and also represented the state of North Carolina in the Carolinas-Virginia Boys' Team Matches. Kenan was also named to the 2018 AJGA Transamerica Scholastic Honor Roll. Kenan will continue his golfing career at The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill.
- Emmanuel Petrov '19 is a four-time letter winner in soccer for Coach Alix Charles. He leaves Ravenscroft as one of the most decorated soccer players in school history: a 2018 NCISAA All-State honoree, a three-time All-Region player, a three-time TISAC All-Conference player and the 2018 TISAC Player of the Year. Emmanuel scored 81 career goals, leading the NCISAA in his sophomore and senior years. He was a team captain in 2018 and helped his team accomplish many goals: an NCISAA 4A state championship appearance, three NCISAA state semifinal appearances, two TISAC conference championships, and two Ravenscroft Annual Soccer Invitational championships. He will play next year at The College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts.
- Jake Schneider '19 is a six-time letter winner in soccer and lacrosse. A two-time NCISAA All-State and All-TISAC selection in lacrosse, Jake leaves Ravenscroft as the school's all-time leading scorer in boys lacrosse. He will play lacrosse at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York .
- Hayden Switzer '19 is a two-time letter winner in lacrosse. A two-year starter in goal, he will continue playing lacrosse at Berry College in Mount Berry, Georgia.
- Jake van der Heijden '19 is a four-year letter winner in basketball and 2019 team captain for Coach Kevin Billerman. Jake was named to the NCISAA All-State and TISAC All-Conference teams. He was named to the South Granville Holiday Invitational All-Tournament Team and the Most Outstanding Player of two showcase games. He played in the NCISAA Private School All-Star game in March and will play in the RDU All-Star Game on May 11. Jake signed in November with Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.
Athletic Director Ned Gonet said, "We are very proud and appreciative of this group of student-athletes for the way they have represented and performed for Ravenscroft over the years. They all have worked hard to develop the necessary skills to be a collegiate athlete, and I know they will continue to make their families and Ravenscroft proud by their accomplishments both in and out of the classroom."
Congratulations to these outstanding student-athletes on their sports careers at Ravenscroft, and best of luck in their collegiate endeavors!