On Saturday, Jan. 5, 16 Middle and Upper School students auditioned for the Central District All-District Band at Southeast Guilford High School in Greensboro. More than 2,000 Middle and Upper school students from public, private and home schools in the Triangle and Piedmont area met to perform scales, rudiments and solos and sight-read a piece of music for a panel of judges. The top-scoring performers will participate in a two-day clinic rehearsal and perform a concert Jan. 25-26. The Middle and High School Clinics will be at East Chapel Hill High School and UNC-Chapel Hill, respectively. The concerts will be at Memorial Hall on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus beginning at 2 p.m.
All of our students did well and are to be congratulated on preparing and participating in such a competitive environment.
This year Ravenscroft has four student participating in All-District bands:
- Henry Zhang '25: Fifth chair clarinet, Middle School Concert Band. This is Henry's first year in All-District and we are very pleased for him. It is rare for a sixth-grade clarinetist to make the ensemble.
- Nicole Finney '19: Clarinet, High School Symphonic Band. This Hunter Scholar has now participated in four years of All-District Bands.
- Abbott Timmons '19: Sixth chair French horn, High School Symphonic Band. This is Abbott's first year of participation since Middle School.
- Taylor Hubbard '19: Fifth chair trumpet, High School Wind Ensemble. This is Taylor's fourth year of participation. Because of his high placement scores, Taylor will once again be eligible for the All-State Honors Band audition in March.
Students earning an honorable mention include:
- Aydin Sabu '23: Third alternate, trumpet
- Michael Rutigliano '22: First alternate, tenor saxophone
- Bradley Taber '20: Fourth alternate, snare drum
Congratulations to all of those who auditioned and the participants in the All-District Band.
All-District Band participants: at top right, Upper School students Nicole Finney '19, Abbott Timmons '19 and Taylor Hubbard '19; at bottom right, Middle School student Henry Zhang '25.