Ravenscroft varsity wrestling placed fourth at the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association Championships, held Feb. 27, 2021, at Providence Day School in Charlotte.
The Ravenscroft boys and girls swim teams competed in the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic State Championship Swim Meet on Monday, Feb. 8. Senior Bode Ringenbach '21 continued his outstanding career, winning the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:41.64.
Ringenbach also placed second in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 56.45. Senior Ben Russell '21 took second in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:46.26 and second place in the 200-yard individual medley at 1:55.68. Junior Ryan Hardy '22 also made the podium with second-place finishes in the 100-yard backstroke (51.85) and 100-yard freestyle (48.14).
The Ravens' 200-yard medley relay team featuring Ryan Hardy '22, Bode Ringenbach '21, Ben Russell '21 and Alexii Cady '24 placed second with a school-record time of 1:37.03. The previous record of 1:39.54 was established in 2003 by Matt McGinnis '04, Eric McGinnis '06, Ryan Rimmele '03 and Alex Steinbaugh '03.
In the 400-yard freestyle relay, Ben Russell '21, Alexii Cady '24, Ryan Hardy '22 and Bode Ringenbach '21 placed second with a time of 3:17.20.
In the girls meet, Sara Djuric '23 placed third in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 24.88.
The boys team finished third overall, with 233 points. The girls team placed 12th overall with 78 points.
"I was really pleased with how the entire team competed at this year's State Championship Meet," head coach Greg Warren said.
Here is a summary of our Ravens' finishes:
NCISAA Champion Boys:
Bode Ringenbach '21: First place, 200 Freestyle, 1:41.64
NCISAA Top 5 Finishers, Boys:
- Ben Russell '21: Second place, 200 individual medley, 1:55.68
- Ben Russell '21: Second place, 500 freestyle, 4:46.26
- Ryan Hardy '22: Second place, 100 freestyle, 48.14
- Ryan Hardy '22: Second place, 100 backstroke, 51.85
- Ryan Hardy '22, Bode Ringenbach '21, Ben Russell '21, and Alexii Cady '24: Second place, 200 medley relay, 1:37.03
- Ben Russell '21, Alexii Cady '24, Ryan Hardy '22 and Bode Ringenbach '21: Second place, 400 freestyle relay, 3:17.20
NCISAA Top 16 Finishers, Boys:
- Alexii Cady '24: Fifth place, 100 freestyle; 13th place, 100 backstroke.
- Drew Davis '25: 15th place, 100 backstroke.
- James Milburn-Pyle '23: 10th place, 500 freestyle; 11th place, 200 freestyle.
- Michael Zucker '21, Connor Kowalczyk '23, Jack Hunt '21 and Jack Douglas '24: Sixth place, 200 freestyle relay.
NCISAA Top 16 Finishers, Girls:
- Olivia Rivera '25: Ninth place, 100 butterfly; 14th place, 100 backstroke.
- Mia Kaplan '24, Sophie Yoon '25, Olivia Rivera '25 and Sara Djuric '23: Ninth place, 200 medley relay
- Ashley Baker '21, Emily Bannerman '21, Stephanie Wadley '21 and Rachel Vorhees '21: 13th place, 200 freestyle relay.
- Sofia Herbert '24, Olivia Meyers '24, Olivia Rivera '25 and Sara Djuric: 12th place, 400 freestyle relay.
TISAC Conference Meet Recap: Boys Place Second, Girls Place Fifth
On Thursday, Jan. 28, the swim teams competed in the Triangle Independent School Athletic Conference's Conference Meet. Following an outstanding performance, Ringenbach was named the boys Most Outstanding Swimmer of the meet for the second year in a row. He broke his own school, conference meet and state record in the 100 breaststroke.
"This year's TISAC Championship was one of the best overall performances for our entire team as far as individual best times," Warren said. "As a team, we had over 57 best times for the meet. The girls placed fifth, and the boys placed second. The meet scores the Top 8, and we had several on both sides."
For the girls, Sara Djuric '23 led the way with two individual wins, in the 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle. Sofia Yoon '25 was eighth in the 200 individual medley. Olivia Rivera '25 placed fifth in the 100 backstroke. In addition, the 200 medley relay team of Sara Djuric '23, Sophie Yoon '25, Olivia Rivera '25 and Lucy Schmalz '22 placed fourth; and the 400 freestyle relay team of Olivia Meyers '24, Olivia Rivera '25, Sofia Herbert '24 and Sara Djuric '23 placed fourth.
For the boys, Ravenscroft placed three conference champions in five individual events: Bode Ringenbach '21 in the 200 freestyle and 100 breaststroke; Ryan Hardy '22 in the 100 freestyle and 100 backstroke; and Ben Russell in the 200 individual medley. Russell also took second in the 500 freestyle. Additional Top-8 finishes for the boys:
- James Milburn-Pyle '23: Third place, 200 freestyle; fourth place, 500 freestyle
- Benya Wilfret '25: Eighth place in both 200 freestyle and 500 freestyle
- Oscar Schacht '22: Seventh place, 200 individual medley; sixth place, 100 breaststroke
- Michael Zucker '21: Third place, 50 freestyle; seventh place, 100 freestyle
- Connor Kowalczyk '23: Fifth place, 50 freestyle; eighth place, 100 freestyle
- Alexii Cady '24: Fourth place, 100 backstroke
- Drew Davis '25: Fourth place, 100 butterfly; fifth place, 100 backstroke
- Mattaus Rammel '26: Fifth place, 100 butterfly.
The boys had outstanding results in the relay competitions. Ryan Hardy '22, Bode Ringenbach '21, Ben Russell '21 and Drew Davis '25 are conference champions in the 200 medley relay; Alexii Cady '24, Michael Zucker '21, Ben Russell '21 and Ryan Hardy '22 also took the top spot in the 200 freestyle relay. Alexii Cady '24, Michael Zucker '21, James Milburn-Pyle '22 and Bode Ringenbach '21 took second place in the 400 freestyle relay.
Congratulations to these athletes for their successful season!
Above, clockwise from top left: The scoreboard from the NCISAA State Meet; state champion and new record-holder Bode Ringenbach '21, two-time Most Outstanding Swimmer of the TISAC meet, with Coach Greg Warren; Sara Djuric '23 with her third-place medal at the state meet; Sophie Yoon '25 and Olivia Rivera '25.