The Ravenscroft Alumni Association presents awards recognizing outstanding Alumni - the Distinguished Alumni Award, Alumni Sports Hall of Fame Award and Alumi Fine Arts Hall of Fame Award. Our alumni have an incredible tradition of achievement, service and integrity, and these awards are our way of recognizing this achievement.
The Class of 1862 award bestows honorary alumni status to non-alumni who have provided an outstanding level of service to the School.
The nomination deadline to be considered for the 2018-19 school year is June 30, 2018.
- Distinguished Alumni Award
- Alumni Hall of Fame Award
- Alumni Fine Arts Hall of Fame Award
- Honorary Alumni Status
Established in 1989, the Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest award presented by the Ravenscroft School Alumni Association. This award is given annually to recognize distinguished service and loyalty to Ravenscroft School and/or outstanding professional, civic, and personal accomplishments.
The recipient should have demonstrated good citizenship and character. Applicants are nominated by a peer group of more than 3,000.
- Only one person may be honored annually as a Distinguished Alumni.
- Each recipient will be presented with an award plaque and certificate, and his/her name will be listed on a plaque permanently housed in the Alumni Sports Hall of Fame Room in the A. E. Finley Activity Center.
- All nominations should be addressed to the Distinguished Alumni Award Committee. Nominating/Selection Committee members are appointed annually by the President of the Alumni Council, and shall serve for a one-year term. The Committee will consist of the President of the Alumni Council, a minimum of three Alumni Council members, former recipients, one faculty member, the Director of Alumni Affairs, the Assistant Head of School for Institutional Advancement, and the Head of School. The Committee will consider current nominations and nominations from the past five years and will present choices to the Alumni Council for a vote. A nomination form can be found below.
2017 - William "Bill" Moss '74
2016- Dr. David Fajgenbaum Junior ‘03
2015- G. Smedes York ‘59
2014- Wendy Bounds '89
2011- Charles M. Winston Sr. '47
2010 - Robert T. Newcomb '78
2009 - D. Matthew Baugh '97
2008 - B. Robert Williamson Jr. '75
2007 - Emily M. Procter '86
2006 - Richard C. Day, Jr. '79
2005 - Lt. Col. William J. Allen, III ’81
2004 - Leif Petterson ’78
2003 - Dr. Powell Graham Fox Jr. ’42
2002 - Elizabeth Toney Melvin ’76
2001 - Nancy Dameron Almquist ’75
2000 - William H. Joyner ’80
1999 - Ann Majors Smith ’80
1998 - Cathy Edwards Lull ’79
1997 - Robert W. Winston ’80
1996 - H. Martin Thompson ’78
1995 - R. Dean Shavlik ’80
1994 - William I. Procter ’50
1993 - Kenneth C. Mayer Jr. ’77
1992 - Dr. V. Watson Pugh Jr. ’38
1991 - Talmadge Hinnant Mangum ’77 & Michael D. Mangum ’77
1990 - William F. Troxler, Jr. ’73
1989 - Victor E. Bell III ’74
Ravenscroft's athletic program enjoys a rich tradition in every sport, and there are many individuals who have contributed to successful seasons. Please take the time to identify former players, coaches, and athletic administrators who deserve to be honored for their contributions to athletics on the nomination form or in a narrative. Attach other pages if needed to include information about your nominee(s). Return to the School for consideration for the next fall inductions at the Homecoming football game.
Listed below are the criteria and procedures for induction into the Alumni Association Sports Hall of Fame (revised November, 2002).
- The Alumni Association Sports Hall of Fame has been organized for the purpose of honoring alumni who graduated from Ravenscroft at least five years ago, coaches, and athletic administrators.
- One or more persons may be inducted annually with a maximum of three and no induction is necessary.
- Each inductee will be presented with an award plaque, and a trophy is permanently housed in the Alumni Association Sports Hall of Fame Room in the A. E. Finley Center Activity Center.
- Each inductee should have demonstrated a consistent respect for and loyalty to Ravenscroft School and good sportsmanship and citizenship character.
- Those honored should be people who have left a lasting impression of achievement and excellence on the Ravenscroft athletic family.
- The President of the Alumni Council shall appoint the Selection Committee. It shall consist of a minimum of three Alumni Council members, a member of the Hall of Fame, the Director of Alumni Affairs, the Athletic Director, one faculty member, and the Head of School.
- The Committee will consider current nominations and nominations from the past five years.
- 2017 -Bo Andrews '09, Chad Day '07, and Coach Chip Hoggard
- 2015 - Henry Zaytoun III '07
- 2014 - Ryan Kelly '09
- 2013 - Corwin Davis '01, Attiya Taylor '99
- 2011 - Trey Lewis '03, John D. Phillips '75
- 2010 - Liz Rogers Biggerstaff '98, Coach Cherie Fowler
- 2009 - Matt McGinnis '04, Coach Billy Thorne
- 2008 - Coach Ned Gonet, Liz Manera Goodmon '98, Jeremy Wilkins '96
- 2007 - Joe Meir '77, Mike Moltzon '84
- 2006 - Eddie Brandle '76, Coach Michelle Piette
- 2005 - Michael Callahan '98, Coach Jimmy Cox
- 2004 - Lee Quinn '79, Coach Ed Yohman
- 2003 - Matt Dunaway '89, Tommy King '77
- 2002 - Meredith Cage Quale '95, Drew Mead '78, Chandra Watkins '96
- 2001 - Dr. Preston Bradshaw, Liz Burnette Gibbons '96, Antwan Harris '96
- 2000 - Edward Boyles '80, Quanah Bullock '84, Scott Jurgensen '81, Dave Patton '74, Erin Sheffield '94, Trent Wadford '93
- 1999 - Billy Simpson '80, Christine Stephenson '90, Buc Williams '90, Robert Williamson '75
- 1998 - John Fischetti '87, Curt Johnson '87, Walter Nottingham '78, James Sansom '76, Al Wadford
- 1997 - Jim Edwards '78, Lee Horton '74, Steve Nielsen '76, Billy Thornburg '75, Chris Kennedy '81
- 1996 - David Cozart '79, Dean Shavlik '80, Coach Ted Stefanou
- 1995 - Gerri Robuck Herakovich '86, Katharine Hogan Kane '78
- 1994 - Coach Bill Holleman
Ravenscroft's Fine Arts program enjoys a legacy of excellence, and many individuals have made invaluable artistic contributions to the School. Please identify alumni who are former or current professional artists, performers, lyricists, screen and theatrical writers, as well as faculty and staff who deserve to be honored for their contributions to the arts.
Listed below are the criteria and procedures for induction into the Alumni Association Fine Arts Hall of Fame.
- The Alumni Association Fine Arts Hall of Fame has been organized for the purpose of honoring alumni who graduated from Ravenscroft at least five years ago, as well as teachers.
- One or more persons may be inducted annually with a maximum of three, and an annual induction is not required.
- Each inductee will be presented with an award plaque, with a large plaque to be permanently housed in the Fine Arts Center.
- Each inductee should have demonstrated a consistent respect for and loyalty to Ravenscroft.
- Those honored should be people who have left a lasting impression of achievement and excellence on the Ravenscroft Fine Arts community.
- The President of the Alumni Council shall appoint the Selection Committee. It shall consist of a minimum of three Alumni Council members, a member of the Alumni Fine Arts Hall of Fame, the Director of Alumni Giving and Activities, the Director of Fine Arts, two Fine Arts faculty members, and the Head of School.
- The Committee will consider current nominations and nominations from the past five years.
Each year at graduation the Ravenscroft School Alumni Association will announce the name(s) of the newest members of the Class of 1862, Ravenscroft’s honorary alumni class. This small, select recognition society was created to honor non-alumni for their outstanding contributions to the School either through dedicated work as faculty and staff or through outstanding volunteer support.
Candidates with appropriate qualifications will be selected from the following three groups:
Faculty and Staff: Those individuals who work consistently and effectively in improving the quality of life at the School whether by inspiring students to develop intellectual curiosity and to become leaders, or by contributing, often behind the scenes, to the internal functioning of the School.
Parents: Those individuals who give of themselves to help make Ravenscroft School a better institution. Frequently, conviction and tenacity are the characteristics that underlie the effectiveness of the parents selected.
Friends: Those individuals whose efforts greatly influence the direction, policies, and growth of the School. Often the recognition of accomplishment is visible over a long period of time due to the unglamorous nature of the contributions.
Nominees are not to be judged by the number of letters of recommendation, but by their merit and outstanding service to the School. The recommendations must be submitted in writing and state, in a paragraph or two, the reasons for the nomination. Nomination forms are available on the web site. Members will only be added to the class when qualified candidates are nominated and may not happen every year.
Selection will be done by a committee composed of the President of the Alumni Council and two members of the Council chosen by him/her, the Head of School, one other faculty member, the Director of Institutional Advancement, and the Director of Alumni Giving and Programs.
2016- Michelle Piette and Carol Miedema
2015- Mrs. Martha Janes
2009- Mr. Lewis “Snow” Holding
2009- Mrs. Frances P. Pugh
2007- Mrs. Barbara Jean Warren
2006- Mrs. Cherie Fowler
2002- Mr. Bruce G. Miller
2000- Mr. George F. Joyner