Diversity & Inclusion
At Ravenscroft, diversity and inclusion mean valuing the individuality of each community member in order to create an environment that fosters understanding and cooperation.
Ravenscroft believes diversity and inclusion are essential to a 21st century community of learning and growth. In nurturing each student intellectually, ethically, spiritually, and physically, Ravenscroft prepares young people for lives of responsibility, leadership, and service.
Ravenscroft does not discriminate on any basis in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, financial aid decisions, and athletic or co-curricular programs. Ravenscroft also does not discriminate on any basis in the hiring of faculty and staff.
Read a blog post by Third Grade Instructor Shanise Mark.
In January 2007, the Ravenscroft Board of Trustees adopted a diversity statement to exemplify our innate value of diversity as an essential component to “prepare students to thrive in a complex and interdependent world”.
Our diversity statement reads:
"Ravenscroft believes that a diverse and inclusive community is an essential element of a rich and educational experience. We are committed to cultivating an environment in which all persons feel embraced and valued. Ravenscroft seeks to nurture respect for diversity in all its forms, through its policies, curriculum and programs.”
- We believe inclusion and diversity are essential to a 21st century community of learning and growth.
- We believe in building a caring community through intellectual, artistic, athletic, and spiritual avenues.
- We understand our role as global citizens and endeavor to nurture a moral and social conscience in each student to be taken into the world for the benefit of the community.
- We do not discriminate on any basis in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, financial aid decisions, and athletic or co-curricular programs, or on any basis in the hiring of faculty and staff.
- We are committed to selecting a well-rounded student enrollment, as well as faculty and staff.
- We are a member of the Triangle Diversity Alliance (TDA) and work with the local community of independent schools to nurture student leadership potential through the annual Triangle Diversity Alliance Conference.
- We annually send a contingent of students and faculty to the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) Student Diversity Leadership Conference.
- We provide the opportunity for faculty to attend the NAIS People of Color Conference.
- We support a faculty and staff Diversity and Inclusion Committee, made up of representatives from all areas of campus.
- We champion a Parents Supporting Diversity and Inclusion Committee, whose mission is to “enrich the Ravenscroft community by creating and promoting a more sensitive and inclusive social and educational environment that welcomes, accepts, and respects all families.