It is recognized that independent school interscholastic athletic events must be conducted in such a manner that good sportsmanship prevails always. It is therefore necessary that administrators and coaches be individually and collectively responsible for promoting good sportsmanship at every interscholastic event. These steps must include the provision of such things as safe and adequate facilities for participants, spectators, and officials for the events; and adequate control of spectators, players, and pre-game and post-game activities. Every effort must be made to promote a climate of wholesome competition.
Athletic competition at Ravenscroft is guided by the following ideals:
- Play hard within the rules of the game.
- Win with humility and lose without excuses.
- Respect officials and accept their decisions.
- Never play with intent to injure an opponent.
- Never forget that they represent their schools, their coaches, and their families as well as themselves.
- Respect the property and facilities of their opponents.
- Inspire in their players a love for the game and the desire to win.
- Teach that it is better to lose fairly than win unfairly.
- Show restraint and respect when dealing with officials.
- Serve as positive role models for their players.
- Hold their players accountable for unsportsmanlike behavior.
- Have a responsibility to treat officials, opposing teams, and their spectators as guests. Members have a responsibility to educate their supporters to cheer the strengths and victories of their own teams, and never to denigrate the performance of opponents or officials.
- Will not tolerate during athletic events any spectator, either adult or student, whose behavior is disrespectful toward players, officials, coaches, or other spectators. Member schools will not permit any type of spectator behavior that detracts from the proper conduct of the game or disadvantages a player or team.